In the Twin Cities something is bubbling up, signaling signs of hope. Something good. It’s recharging neighborhoods and giving vacated properties a vibrant hope for community building and beyond. What is it you ask? It’s the rise of small, locally owned shops, by seemingly unobtrusive pioneers who are doing something about rebuilding the economy in much needed ways. Yes these shops may be small but their impact on our lives as a whole is profound. Consider this: If you think supporting local businesses is a nice gesture but not all that important, read the following top 10 reasons local businesses are vital to each and every community across the U.S. Who knows, you may become a convert towards that much used phrase: “Think globally, act locally”
Top Ten reasons to Think Local – Buy Local – Be Local
- Buy Local — Support yourself: Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a nationally owned businesses, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses, service providers and farms — continuing to strengthen the economic base of the community.(Click here to see summaries of a variety of economic impact studies; these include case studies showing that locally-owned businesses generate a premium in enhanced economic impact to the community and our tax base.)
- Support community groups: Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from largebusinesses.
- Keep our community unique: Where we shop, where we eat and have fun — all of it makes our community home. Our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of this place. Our tourism businesses also benefit. “When people go on vacation they generally seek out destinations that offer them the sense of being someplace, not just anyplace.” ~ Richard Moe, President, National Historic Preservation Trust
- Reduce environmental impact: Locally owned businesses can make morelocal purchases requiring less transportation and generally set up shop in town or city centers as opposed to developing on the fringe. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.
- Create more good jobs: Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community, provide the most jobs to residents.
- Get better service: Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers.
- Invest in community: Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future.
- Put your taxes to good use: Local businesses in town centers require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services as compared to nationally owned stores entering the community.
- Buy what you want, not what someone wants you to buy: A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based not on a national sales plan but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
- Encourage local prosperity: A growing body of economic research shows that in an increasingly homogenized world, entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.
Top 10 Information derived from the following excellent blog: http://sustainableconnections.org/thinklocal/why
This is a BIG shout out that goes to Forage Modern Workshop for their absolutely brand spanking new gem of a store in south Minneapolis on Lake Street featuring locally designed furniture and accessories for the home. The foursome that make up this store got real time street cred; they’ve been in the design business a long time and know what’s hot.
Their savvy ability to find and showcase items from the great talent pool we have here in MN will have you all wondering how it is that we are not the epicenter for iconic design. Omforme is extremely thrilled to be a part of their store with our revamped treasures. Thank you Forage, thank you, thank you!!